week 183

I don’t usually post recipes or food related stuff anymore but in my experiments in baking gluten-free, dairy free stuff, was kind of impressed with myself for this bit of randomness, although you have to admit chocolate anything works.

I also don’t have exact measurements and literally just threw a lot of things together. These are not the correct measurements.

The leftover sugar and cinnamon from chocolate graham crackers I made (probably  1/3 cup), 2 cups of ground almonds (used sliced almonds from a bag with their skins on and tried to make them into almond flour), 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 3 tablespoons of rice flour, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, cup of frozen cherries cut into fourths, half a bag of shredded sweetened coconut for the dry.

An egg, “buttermilk” (tablespoon of lemon juice and soy milk to make one cup, and let sit for about ten minutes or the half hour I had it sitting around), teaspoon of almond extract, tablespoon of vanilla extract for the wet.

Pretty sure that’s all the ingredients.

Pop them all in cupcake lined tins and bake for 25 minutes at 350F/176C.

They come out looking like this.

It yielded 20 and five of them quickly disappeared after baking two batches.

This is the first batch and I ate the first one before the picture was taken.

chocolate almond coconut cherry cupcakes

I’m tempted to venture out and start baking vegan items but not sure what’s stopping me.

 

So…. My knitting progress on the two projects from last week.

 

knit from the top pullover

The knit from the top has grown about four inches.

In case you’re curious how bad at math I am.

My stitches went from CO89 to 135 to 260 to 526 in the last increase. I did the math and was supposed to go from 90 to (90+45=) 135 to (133×2+2=) 268 to (266×2+2=) 534. I like it as it is but I’m not doing more increases or frogging the yarn and starting over.

When I need to bind off for the sleeves, I’m sure it will be less confusing.

Also, I think I need to go up to a longer length circular needle to get a better idea of how long it will be and not guessing with all the scrunched up stitches. I’m currently using a 36inch length circular needle.

 

progress on purple and black striped cardigan

The striped cardigan is nearing ever closer to where I bind off for the fronts and back. I still need to calculate the sleeves and where the stripes will go.

I like the way it feels and doubling up the yarn was a good idea. I get the feeling I’m going to be happy with this when it’s finished and wear it heaps.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s