week 249

I already showed this to the person I plan on sending to, and she approves, so can show it off here. Even though it’s not perfect, it looks quite nice. Working with floral tape on a humid day made it stick even more.

It took four items: thick ribbon (with wire), thread, wire (used 20 gauge jewelry wire), and green floral tape. Non-wired ribbon makes more circular flowers, so it depends on what you like.

Basically, you thread a piece of ribbon at the bottom then tie the loose thread together together, so it’s closed, and sew the ends together and thread through the same side as before and cinch it up then knot it off.

You turn the flower over and sorta make sure everything is underneath. After you make the number you want–I made an odd number, but it doesn’t matter the number– you wrap wire around the threaded bottoms. I wrapped them about three or four times then pinched the wire.

Most of the flowers were wrapped with opposite ends of the same piece of wire. I didn’t measure anything, so can’t tell exact measurements. After everything had wire attached, gather it all into a bunch, adjust so they’re all level and wrap the floral tape around it, starting under the flowers, then cut the wire peeking out with a jewelry wire cutter.

blurry photo of ribbon floral bouquet

It looks better on the loom but this is the weaving finished and hanging. I should cut the pole, but will just make a second weaving and hang that on the same bit of wood.

multicolour weaving

Last week, I started knitting this with Tahki Stacey Charles’ Lena yarn. Four days later made a first bit for a pullover. I started the second piece yesterday. I should have added less grey stripes and just added them before every odd stripe, but I’m happy with this and need to make three more. I don’t know if I have enough of some of the yarns for the sleeves, but am tempted to just make all grey sleeves.

Also, I realise my default knitting mode is stripes and stockinette.

striped pullover in pieces

These are all the yarns used.

The grey varigated one is Yarn Collective’s BloomsburyDK in soot. The purple under it is the Tahki Stacey Charles Lena yarn in colourway 003. Yarn Stories’s Fine Merino DK in Mulberry, Fuchsia, and Duck Egg. Yarn Stories’s Fine Merino and Baby Alpaca in Thistle. KnitPicks” Aloft in Cosmopolitan. The one in the middle is Phydeaux Yarn’s Blackberry Bramble. For a short period, I had a Yarnbox subscription and feel like I’m one of the reasons why it’s shutting down this month. I use the Aloft and Fuchsia together.

yarns used

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s