week 278

The two studies are finished.

cool and warm studies, greens and blues on the cool side and orange red and yellow on the warm side

The original intention was what can I make with three materials. I ended up using five. Both are first layered with Crayola watercolours. On the left was just one colour, which was a bluish-green and the left was two mixed together. I wasn’t paying attention and the red-orange and orange-red look interchangeable.

After they dried, I taped up the canvas boards in random order and it just turned out the cool side was squares and the warm side was triangular and circles. Some of the circles didn’t stick on and popped off when I was applying the colours with oil pastels. Smoothing them out with my finger didn’t make them completely flat, but neither did applying poppy oil either. They dried for about a week, taking longer because I left the tape on for an extra day, I had let them sit with thumbtacks so I could lean one against the other.

Before poking holes, I sprayed them with fixative spray and let them sit for half an hour. By the way, if you’re indoors, make sure you have the windows fully open and the fan on full blast, I might have gotten a headache for about ten minutes because the smell was gnarly. Left the room after a couple minutes, but that was enough.

Thumbtacks don’t produce big enough holes but luckily, I made use of a bookbinding awl and poked big enough holes to thread an embroidery needle through and attached the embroidery thread through. I like the openness of cool side, and wish I made the warm side more even.

Now I want to analyse both and take elements from both and incorporate them into a larger scale. I finally used the Michaels giftcard and bought a 70″x72″ (178cm by 183cm) canvas fold and a couple sets of 48″ (122cm) stretcher bars. Still need to get the cross brace for the back and some gesso, then go to town on that painting. I’m going to layer a thin wash of acrylic paint, then oil paint, then use laceweight yarn on the canvas. I wonder if I could attach crocheted chains but we’ll see.

Currently looking to frame the studies together but 16’x24″ (41cm by 61cm) frames is an unusual size. Want the middles to touch but not precious about the other sides.

The weaving is finished and it’s uneven on the right side, because when I tied off the ends, I did it a bit tightly.

finished weaving

A couple of the fringe bits are not even and it just needs a trim but it looks like this. This is what the weaving looks like if you keep turning it around but this looks much better than anything else I’ve done.

Most of my time has been spent doing this has been otherwise taken up with this.

wound yarn bits

I don’t remember the blue but the green one is from Knitpicks.

yarn still to untangle

This has been sitting in the closet and am finally sucking it up and unwinding it all. It’s not going to be in one piece, obviously, but it will be usable at some point. Wish I didn’t get it in this condition in the first place but laceweight yarn is such a pain in the arse with a mind of its own.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s