Spent most of last week sewing a bag for my niece and it came out so wonky. She didn’t mind. It was more she was around and wanted it finished before she left. The mesh was supposed to be on the outside but kept turning it inside out backwards, so it stayed that way. It just looks awful and it’s embarrassing but she loved it.
Didn’t get much embroidery done.
Lately, my focus has been finally deciding on what to do with this. It will be a cardigan with another yarn as the sleeves and collar, and possibly edging all around. But right now just have the oversized back and one front finished. The yarn has gone from knitting to crochet back to knitting and it will be crochet. First row is hdc/htc but the rest are alternating hdc/htc and then going into the stitch below and front loop of next stitch, and hdc/htc that stitch. Not sure if that’s clear.
The painting is finished. Added orange tinged pink paint in a few spots. It took longer to apply the gesso layers than painting over it. Both white and black gesso have their plusses so think I’m using both from now on.
Can’t stop fussing with the hats but it’s finally at the point one is actually pretty much done. Stitching is a bit wonky but bought red feathers and can sew some onto the pillbox. I also redid the lining.
Redid the main part of the other hat and kept the brim. It fits better but need to add some ribbon to cover the raw edges inside.
Started embroidering onto the canvas using the dyed fabric. I’m not sure if it’s obvious what it is at this point. One person was able to figure it out without my telling them first.
I used up the rest of the resin and made a couple things. The one I call the glitter vomit dome was cast in some rounded plastic container with a few dents and it’s kind of nice but need to sand off the bottom a bit more (did a light sanding while watching The BRIT Awards) and put felt underneath so I can use it as a paperweight. The other one was a bunch of Halloween bits and bobs because I got tired of going through Dylan’s toy bin and finding them in there. Especially the wee plastic spiders. I didn’t let the parts sit and am not too fussed about the bubbly cloudy nature of either one.
I’m just being completely lazy about everything.
Especially the striped pullover.
Because this is how far I’ve gotten.
Just added the first row of the second brown stripe.
I thought it would be fun to get a bunch of blank canvas boards and small bits of red and pink paint and see what my kid and I could come up with. He wasn’t interested even though I know he’s painted stuff in class, because I’ve had a lot of moments where I try to scrub him clean several times and he still has paint or marker on his hands.
I only did this just to see what the paint looks like. It will make a nice background for something but no idea what to layer over it.
(And the resulting paint palette)
Used up one thread for the embroidery project. I’m not sure what it will look like in front but I plan on layering all the greys on that side. Probably should change to the bigger hoop.
I am making a small rug using up that yarn that I wanted to make a vest for Dylan, but it didn’t turn out. This is the first layer of the rug, as I plan on attaching to the top of it.
(By the way, this is the cleanest my rug has been in weeks, because various projects have been worked on there. Sunday, I had several things there.)
All the leftover purple yarns (there may be more in the closet) will be knit into something, not sure what at this point.
Various projects came into my hands and attention span.
Started on knitting a few rows of the next colour of this pullover.
Except when I rewound the green, I did it in reverse, so pulling from the middle, resulted in the yarn looking lighter, but it’s the same yarn and the variation will make it look nice.
So, this might give you an idea of the stripe order.
Embroidery has always eluded me.
For a while, I’ve had several bits of embroidery thread and just couldn’t find someone to give them away to, so finally making some use of them. I separated them into colours and decided to use the greys, greens and lavenders in this project. I think purple and green together is one of the worst combinations but piling them together
This is what the back looks like as of this morning. I’m using up all the thread instead of just a bit of it.
The thing about embroidery is it’s one of those things you need a basic plan and most everything I do includes a brief sketch of some inkling in my head, which is usually not the end result, but this is one of the rare times where I just make random stitches and see what will happen. This is just an experiment, and the process will prove as a useful lesson in whether it’s something I want to pursue further.
Also, I bought a water-soluble chalk pencil in case.
By the way, as an experiment, I made a circle from yarn and tried to put that in another hoop and it would not fit. I did weave some yarn into it but took it out not long afterwards. I’m sure if you use fingering or laceweight it could fit into a hoop. Crafting should be fun and I like to mix things up, and want to work on two or more craft skills at once.
I have a limited palette of acrylic paint and was bored.
I changed up the girl’s lips but the changing her lips from a dark to a light blue didn’t look right, as I kept making her mouth bigger and bigger.
I should have kept her highlights the same and her skintone was perfect the first time around. I went nuts with the white paint and she looks odd now.
The one on the right took way less time. I literally painted once, made dinner for my son and myself then came back and added another layer. Added a few dots of bronze marker.
I finally attached a rug mat to the bottom of the rug I had made a while ago.
And, I’m not sure what to put over the edge to cover the raw bits of mat.