The two studies are finished.
The original intention was what can I make with three materials. I ended up using five. Both are first layered with Crayola watercolours. On the left was just one colour, which was a bluish-green and the left was two mixed together. I wasn’t paying attention and the red-orange and orange-red look interchangeable.
After they dried, I taped up the canvas boards in random order and it just turned out the cool side was squares and the warm side was triangular and circles. Some of the circles didn’t stick on and popped off when I was applying the colours with oil pastels. Smoothing them out with my finger didn’t make them completely flat, but neither did applying poppy oil either. They dried for about a week, taking longer because I left the tape on for an extra day, I had let them sit with thumbtacks so I could lean one against the other.
Before poking holes, I sprayed them with fixative spray and let them sit for half an hour. By the way, if you’re indoors, make sure you have the windows fully open and the fan on full blast, I might have gotten a headache for about ten minutes because the smell was gnarly. Left the room after a couple minutes, but that was enough.
Thumbtacks don’t produce big enough holes but luckily, I made use of a bookbinding awl and poked big enough holes to thread an embroidery needle through and attached the embroidery thread through. I like the openness of cool side, and wish I made the warm side more even.
Now I want to analyse both and take elements from both and incorporate them into a larger scale. I finally used the Michaels giftcard and bought a 70″x72″ (178cm by 183cm) canvas fold and a couple sets of 48″ (122cm) stretcher bars. Still need to get the cross brace for the back and some gesso, then go to town on that painting. I’m going to layer a thin wash of acrylic paint, then oil paint, then use laceweight yarn on the canvas. I wonder if I could attach crocheted chains but we’ll see.
Currently looking to frame the studies together but 16’x24″ (41cm by 61cm) frames is an unusual size. Want the middles to touch but not precious about the other sides.
The weaving is finished and it’s uneven on the right side, because when I tied off the ends, I did it a bit tightly.
A couple of the fringe bits are not even and it just needs a trim but it looks like this. This is what the weaving looks like if you keep turning it around but this looks much better than anything else I’ve done.
Most of my time has been spent doing this has been otherwise taken up with this.
I don’t remember the blue but the green one is from Knitpicks.
This has been sitting in the closet and am finally sucking it up and unwinding it all. It’s not going to be in one piece, obviously, but it will be usable at some point. Wish I didn’t get it in this condition in the first place but laceweight yarn is such a pain in the arse with a mind of its own.
Lately, I seem to only focus on two projects per week, or mainly one and another to do while waiting on the other.
Been mainly focused on one project. Have been wanting to see what the end result if I use three specific things, has turned into four. Got two blank canvas board, then covered them in (Crayola) watercolour. Then, after that layer dried, covering them in painter’s tape (made the mistake of using packing tape which I’m not sure why I assumed it wouldn’t ruin the back), then on the exposed areas use oil pastels. Originally was going to just put fixative over it, but my genius brain thought to put linseed oil over it all, in hopes to smooth down the oil pastel as much as possible. Smoothing it out with my fingers still left spots where it wasn’t completely smooth. I didn’t use linseed oil, instead used drying poppy oil. Also, never leave the tape on the panel or such while it’s drying. Still. I have quite a bit of time on my hands while it finally reaches the stage where I can handle it without oil smothering my fingertips.
This is how they look, after the tape has been removed. The tape slightly outlines the pastels on the right, which you can’t tell from this photo. To make the smaller circles, I used those circle label stickers. More than one popped off when I was rubbing the oil pastel over it. For the big one, I taped on one of the ends of the cardboard from a ribbon spool. Using yellow stickers under that colour was mildly comical as I had to remember where they were attached, so they could be removed. It’s also kind of annoying that my intention was that, positioned this way, it would be left leaning, but the size gets more attention than the intensity of colour. The cool colours were supposed to lean right, and the warm colours lean left. The official thing will be changed so it reflects that, and it’s obvious they will soften into each other, and not be hard like these examples. Right now, the materials is more important than anything else.
I’ve stuck thumbtacks in the boards for two reasons. I can safely lean them against each other without their accidentally touching, so they don’t smear onto each other. Also, that’s to give me a rough idea of the path where I’m applying the embroidery thread when it is finally safe to handle.
After everything is finished, I want to do a comparison and take the best elements from both and incorporate them into something more cohesive.
While they’re drying, a bit of playing with yarn.
This is an experiment with different textures, as in changing the yarn so it’s crocheted or knit a bit before weaving it in, but staying with monochrome red yarns. It looks nice with the blue peeking out. My problem with weaving, thought, is I never get it tight enough so it doesn’t hang weird. Perhaps because I don’t have that bar underneath it.