Category: food

week 220

Who’s at the tail end of another cold? This girl. Beginning of the week, I could barely function. Coffee and medicine on Tuesday and was feeling generally okay. Wednesday, although there was shopping involved and was fine, except for the occasional coughing fit, but got home and was completely wiped out.

 

Last Friday, after picking up Dylan from school, I was watching Harold and Maude, when started on the third house. This one will be, obviously, squarish.

house number three begun

 

After frogging the yarn from the one while waiting last week, I restarted something else. Completely undid the stripes pullover and made a new colour scheme and it’s going to start with the green.

It’s not obvious but took one my son’s pillows and have been using it to elevate my head. The lion pillowcase has been in someone’s possession since I was a kid. At one point, my mom has tried to get rid of it and I keep hoarding it. That reminds me. I’m not sure where my pillow from when my relatives from Germany were here, a long long time ago.

knitting project on top of other yarns

 

Progress on the second tube of the scarf.

progress on the second tube of the scarf

 

I bought something for one my sister-in-laws for Christmas and have been trying to figure out how to make a box for it. This is attempt number two.

Below it is one coaster. I need to make four more.

That’s all I can say about this, otherwise I’ll spoil it and that would not be good.

box and one coaster

 

After wrapping a present, I had leftover paper and found myself randomly cutting it to see what would result. I made a row of the letter D, which is attached to my son’s present.

This looks like it still needs something.

paper and yarn and felt

Boredom led me to start cutting out letters from the cardboard container that had tissues. Not sure if I can get all the letters from this amount.

letters from tissue box cardboard

 

Also, boredom has led me to make small envelopes that I don’t remember why I started making the first one. I had a bigger envelope and was using part of it to cover a box bottom.

small envelopes

 

I’m completely inept when it comes to making a gingerbread house.

Be glad I’m not an architect or something of the ilk.

side of the gingerbread house

I didn’t calculate the roof to be big enough and there would have been empty space on each side so did it backwards. I need to make more royal frosting and just dump it all on the house. This is embarrassing but this is only my second attempt, so not too bovvered.

week 183

I don’t usually post recipes or food related stuff anymore but in my experiments in baking gluten-free, dairy free stuff, was kind of impressed with myself for this bit of randomness, although you have to admit chocolate anything works.

I also don’t have exact measurements and literally just threw a lot of things together. These are not the correct measurements.

The leftover sugar and cinnamon from chocolate graham crackers I made (probably  1/3 cup), 2 cups of ground almonds (used sliced almonds from a bag with their skins on and tried to make them into almond flour), 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 3 tablespoons of rice flour, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, cup of frozen cherries cut into fourths, half a bag of shredded sweetened coconut for the dry.

An egg, “buttermilk” (tablespoon of lemon juice and soy milk to make one cup, and let sit for about ten minutes or the half hour I had it sitting around), teaspoon of almond extract, tablespoon of vanilla extract for the wet.

Pretty sure that’s all the ingredients.

Pop them all in cupcake lined tins and bake for 25 minutes at 350F/176C.

They come out looking like this.

It yielded 20 and five of them quickly disappeared after baking two batches.

This is the first batch and I ate the first one before the picture was taken.

chocolate almond coconut cherry cupcakes

I’m tempted to venture out and start baking vegan items but not sure what’s stopping me.

 

So…. My knitting progress on the two projects from last week.

 

knit from the top pullover

The knit from the top has grown about four inches.

In case you’re curious how bad at math I am.

My stitches went from CO89 to 135 to 260 to 526 in the last increase. I did the math and was supposed to go from 90 to (90+45=) 135 to (133×2+2=) 268 to (266×2+2=) 534. I like it as it is but I’m not doing more increases or frogging the yarn and starting over.

When I need to bind off for the sleeves, I’m sure it will be less confusing.

Also, I think I need to go up to a longer length circular needle to get a better idea of how long it will be and not guessing with all the scrunched up stitches. I’m currently using a 36inch length circular needle.

 

progress on purple and black striped cardigan

The striped cardigan is nearing ever closer to where I bind off for the fronts and back. I still need to calculate the sleeves and where the stripes will go.

I like the way it feels and doubling up the yarn was a good idea. I get the feeling I’m going to be happy with this when it’s finished and wear it heaps.